So you’ve read the guide on how to create effective landing pages and next your thinking, how do I optimise them for the search engines? I’ll give you a few tips to help get you started.
Getting good search engine ranking is an art, but follow these tips and you’ll at least be on the road to success and avoid the typical downfalls.
The do’s to get your website and pages ranking well
- Do choose the right keywords for pages, make sure it relates to the content on that page;
- Do use Google Adwords Keyword Tool to find popular keywords;
- Do create a separate page for each service or product you offer, focus on a single keyword or phrase;
- Do use good title tags related to that pages keywords;
- Do create good content related to your keywords, make sure it’s well written, unique and natural;
- Do use text (spiderable) hyperlinks to navigate around your website;
- Do optimise your text hyperlinks with keyword and phrases they link to;
- Do use static URL’s, these will get spidered quickly;
- Do use static URL’s that match the title and description of the pages content;
- Do use images “alt” text with your keywords and keyword phrases appropriately;
- Do optimise heading tags with the most important keywords;
- Do create quality backlinks with your keywords in the links;
- Do have good keywords on all site links;
- Do have fresh rotating content on pages, spiders like fresh text;
- Do make call to actions clear and use different one’s and in different places on the page;
- Do use social media marketing (SMM) to help promote your page rankings;
- Do create a text hyperlink and XML sitemap so your pages can get crawled.
The don’t pitfalls to avoid that will scupper your website and page rankings
- Don’t build your website/pages using frames, a lot of search engines do not support frames and won’t spider your content;
- Don’t use Flash throughout/for your entire site, you need to ensure that you have text and content that is spiderable;
- Don’t use dynamic URLs, things driven from a database or script – search engines don’t like them and they won’t rank well;
- Don’t use the term “Click here” or similar terms on or for links;
- Don’t create too much content on a single page this will count against you;
- Don’t create spammy content with keywords, you will get penalised;
- Don’t create duplicate content on different URLs, this will effect your rankings;
- Don’t use link farms or link building companies, quality is king, poor quality links will hurt you.
These are the basics to getting you started with search engine optimisation. If you would like any further information or help, you can contact me through my website weblusion.co.uk or find me on LinkedIn.